Artist Story > In Haus Press


Okay.  It’s hot, hot summer over here and instead of taking a correspondence break I make it simple and easy.  I tuck a few (gorgeous and minimal!) cards, trusty vintage postage, my go-to alphabet rubber stamps and black ink pad into a tote bag and head outside.  (Little trick: Use a pencil eraser to make polka dots on envelopes.)  My courtyard is shady, breezy and surrounded by birds a-chirping and a very cute herb garden.  This is where I slow it down and write a few letters summer-style.  (Cold watermelon wedges optional!)

In Haus Press handprints some of the prettiest, simply designed black and white cards around.  “You can have any color, as long as it’s black.” Henry Ford


Treasa shares a bit of her story >

Where do you live?

San Francisco, California.

How did you start In Haus Press?

Before In Haus Press, I was a pastry chef with a graphic design background. I realised that I preferred designing correspondence rather than recipes, so I decided to pursue what made me happy, and focus on stationery design. In 2010, my husband surprised me with a tabletop printing press, and I remember writing the business plan for In Haus Press that very night. I had no idea where to begin, but I knew I wanted to turn what I loved into a successful business. I spent every free moment learning everything there was to know about letterpress printing. Teaching yourself a craft is a beautiful thing. It's a lot of work, and you have to love the process. You have to want to be great at what you do, and be patient with yourself. For me there is no substitution for having learned something on your own. It was hard finding simple, stylish cards that I liked, so I began designing my own.  A handwritten note is such a traditional and intimate way to communicate, and I love knowing that something I've designed will be used to convey someone's thoughts and wishes.  That’s why a handwritten note - no matter the design - will always be in style.


What are you reading?

I'm currently in the middle of Hum If You Don't Know the Words by Bianca Marais. So good!

Where did you last travel?

My husband and I visited Japan recently, and it was beautiful.

What are your influences/inspiration?

I hadn't realized this until a friend pointed it out, but most of my work is influenced by the language I use with friends and family. I design my stationery around the little phrases and sayings that we use day to day. I'm also heavily influenced by European culture and minimalist interiors.


What's your favourite podcast?

Lately I've listening more to music than podcasts these days, but I do enjoy Design Matters with Debbie Millman.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I recently had a little girl in May, so she's who I love spending every moment with these days, but the other answer to that is collaborating on projects with my husband. We have a lot of side projects that we work on together - coffee roasting, a tee shirt brand, to name a few -  so when I'm not designing/printing work for In Haus Press, that's where you'll find me.


Find In Haus Press > website instagram twitter facebook

Comments