Artist Story > White River Co.


Sending (pretty) mail is a quick way to bring delight to someone you love. Bonus: It gives you a small bit of screen-free/slow-down time for yourself! White River Co.’s beautiful stationery is a sure bet to do some day-brightening. (Lily of the valley or zodiac card anyone?) 

P.S. I thought it was high time that I broke out my tiny watercolour set. Why not paint a little “HI” or “OK” on some envelopes? 


Sophie of White River Co. let me in on her background >

Where do you live? 

The small town of Haliburton in Ontario. North of Toronto in the heart of cottage country.

How did you start White River Co.? 

I guess I always knew in the back of my mind I wanted to have my own business and work for myself so I finally just went for it. I spent a couple of months researching, learning how to print, building a website and experimenting with designs. Thankfully I had previously worked at a print company so I knew what was expected and had a bit of knowledge. With the help of my very supportive family encouraging me to put myself out there, I finally launched White River Co. at the end of October 2016. I've already grown so much in these few months and my style has become much more clear and focused. I'm teaching myself new things every day and figuring out where I want to go with the company. 

 
What are you reading? 

I'm awful at making time to read actual books. However right now I'm listening to Lauren Graham's book Talking as Fast as I Can. I constantly have audiobooks playing when I'm working and in the car.

What's your favourite podcast?

Lately I've been loving Cathy Heller's Don't Keep Your Day Job. It's great for people who want to learn some tips on turning your passion into profit and listen to fellow creators.

Where did you last travel? 

Most likely it was to Calgary to visit my siblings although it’s been a while. I'll be doing a road trip of Western Canada and the States in the summer for some much needed inspiration.


What are your influences/inspiration? 

I’m lucky to be surrounded by beautiful lakes and nature, which obviously has a huge influence on my work. But I definitely feel most inspired when I go to galleries and art shows. I love seeing what others create and talking to fellow artists. Seeing so many different styles not only gives me inspiration but it reminds me of my own talent and I usually want to just go home and create.

What is your creative process? 

I get ideas anytime, anywhere. I keep a note on my phone so when I see something that triggers an idea I just jot it down for later. I tend to do most of my painting or drawing in the evening, which is when I do my best work. Often the idea on the list doesn't quite work out how I imagined but results in a couple of other nice designs. In the morning I photograph and work in Adobe to edit and finish cards. My process is constantly tweaking and shaping fragments into complete designs.

What do you like to do in your spare time? 

I'm most likely working on acrylic paintings, cuddling/playing with my dog Escher, and watching far too much Netflix.


Find White River Co. > website instagram twitter facebook

Comments